June 26, 2009

Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme




Back when I was just getting into TTM autograph collecting I picked up an issue of an autograph collecting magazine. Back then the internet was a rare thing; in fact, I don't believe I had ever had the experience of surfing the 'net, nor did I even own a computer.

Anyway, there was an article that included an envelope with Squeaky's address on it. I had to use a magnifying glass just to be able to make out the address. I knew as long as I had her prison ID number I would be ok; I was working for the Texas prison system at that time and had a clear understanding how a number followed a person around the system and that's all you really needed. So, if the address in Florida was old the letter would eventually catch up with her.

I mailed my letter to Squeaky back in 1997. I was surprised to get a reply. For a long time I didn't understand what she was talking about when she meantioned that all she was concerned with was "air, trees, water, animals". A few years later I read something about ATWA and learned what it meant. Fromme and Sandra Good use this term often to talk about the life force of nature.



Lynette Fromme was somewhat of an icon back in the day. If some of you youngsters are still scratching your head wondering who this chick is I have two words for you: Manson Family. But that's not why she is in federal prison; attempting to kill President Ford landed her that gig.

Squeaky was one of Charlie's girls. She lived out at the Spahn ranch with him and the rest of his group. When he and the others went on trial for the Tate/Labianca killings she shaved her head and gouged out an X on her forehead to protest the criminal proceedings.



Here's a pic of her and Sandra Good:



As I mentioned, she tried to assassinate Gerald Ford. On the morning of September 5, 1975 (a couple of weeks before I turned the tender age of 5, as a matter of fact) she strolled into a park in Sacramento with a loaded .45 and pointed it at the President.

She was quickly apprehended...



...and taken to jail and then to court...



...and while in court she refused to cooperate with her own lawyer; it appears she's taking some serious notes here during her trial.



These days she's cooling her hills a few hours north of me in Fort Worth. She's eligible for parole in less than two months; however, she never attends her parole hearings, therefore it is denied.

3 comments:

  1. That is crazy! Nice job! (this is probably the first time I have ever written two sentences in a row in my life and included an exclamation point in both)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the honor of seeing the original. Got to love the byproducts of the late 60s and 70s....they keep life interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin! What an unexpected surprise. Nice to see you dropping by my lil' ole blog.

    ReplyDelete